How To Protect Yourself From Cell Phone Radiation
Posted by Lloyd Burrell, Electricsense, on July 8, 2010
Here are my 12 tips to minimize your exposure to radiation when using a cell phone. -
1. Don’t allow children to use a cell phone for calling.
This is at the top of my list because it’s so important. Children should only use a cell phone for dire emergencies.
Children are not ‘small versions’ of adults, multiple studies indicate that children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of cell phone radiation (de Salles 2006; Gandhi 1996; Kang 2002; Wang 2003; Wiart 2008).
2. Limit calls to those that are absolutely necessary.Keep the length of these calls to an absolute minimum. Studies show risk is cumulative with hours of use.
3. Avoid telephoning with your cell phone next to your ear.
If you do put your cell phone next to you ear wait until your correspondent has picked up the communication. Cell phones (2G particularly) are known to communicates at full power when connecting to a number. Hold your phone away from your body until you’ve finished dialing and put it to your ear when your correspondent answers.
When receiving an incoming call give yourself a second or two before putting the phone next to your head once you’ve accepted the call.
4. Avoid carrying your cell phone directly on your body.Even on standby your cell phone communicates at full power with the nearest cell phone tower regularly (typically several times a second) to ensure it has the best signal possible. If you’re in a poor signal area, it may transmit every 30 seconds to try and get a better signal. If you do have to keep your cell phone next to your body keep it away from your major organs.
Even when your cell phone is switched off it may still be emitting radiation. Many cell phones now have GPS incorporated which periodically transmit to update their position, even when switched off. Flight mode or airplane mode is a safer alternative, but better to avoid carrying your phone on your body.
5. Only use your cell phone in conditions of optimum reception.Use it outside or near a window as much as possible. Avoid using it in a basement, underground station, elevator etc.
There’s no industry standard on the meaning of the signal bars on cellphones but you’re best advised to only telephone when all the signal bars are showing. Some phones can ramp up their emissions 1000-fold in areas where the signal is poor. This means that for each signal bar that is missing your exposure increases several hundred times.
6. Don’t use your telephone when in a moving vehicle.This might be in a bus, train, car etc. In a moving vehicle the cell phone antenna is constantly scanning for contact and therefore operating at increased signal strength, hence radiation emissions are increased. According to Lloyd Morgan of the Environmental Health Trust:
“GSM phones go to max power every time it connects to the next cell; 3rd generation (UMTS) and 4th generation (LTE) to not change radiated power as they move from cell to cell“.
7. Don’t use your cell phone in a parked car.Would you consider sticking your head in a microwave oven when its turned on? I don’t think so. Using your cell phone in a car works on the same principle as a microwave oven. In both cases they are metallic enclosures where RF radiation is magnified.
The RF radiation from your cell phone reflected back by the cars metallic structure magnifies the radiation. It’s called the Faraday cage effect. This radiation from your phone bounces round your car and is absorbed by your body at a higher level than would otherwise be.
8. Use an air tube headset when possible.As a rule of thumb, signal strength falls off in proportion to the square of the distance to the source. So if you double the distance to the source (the cell phone to your head) your potential exposure would be four times less, since two squared is four. Airtube headsets are the safest way of increasing this distance.
They are comprised of a part-wired cable and part air tube. This air tube component converts the electrical signal into harmless airwaves. An airtube type hands free kit can reduce radiation significantly as can a cell phone radiation protection case and it is much safer than bluetooth.
Speaker phone mode is another option. This enables you to hold the phone away from your body when you use it. The downside is that it makes the battery work harder thereby increasing magnetic radiation levels. If you don’t have an airtube, speakerphone mode offers a “lesser of two evils” solution.
9. Never sleep with a cell phone switched on at night beside your bed.Never even bring the cell phone into the bedroom.
Studies show that cell phone radiation and other electromagnetic field (EMF) exposures at night can interrupt sleep cycles and contribute to a host of ailments like: irritation of allergies, heart palpitations, muscle pain and weakness, and daytime irritability. These exposures can impede the function of the immune system, reduce the production of melatonin and other hormones and have serious long-term adverse consequences.
10. Avoid using your cell phone if you are feeling in any way run down.
The radiation can make you feel even more tired and weaken your organism further. The elderly and pregnant women should be heavily discouraged from using a cell phone, the embryo and fetus is not conducive to microwave radiation. If you have a metallic appendage in or around your head such as teeth fillings, metal screws and plates, jewelry and metal framed glasses you may be particularly affected.
11. Don’t make the mistake of thinking a low SAR cell phone is a safe cell phone.SAR means Specific Absorption Rate which is a measure of microwave radiation absorbed by human body tissue from using a cell phone. Its good to know what the SAR is of your cell phone but do not make the mistake of thinking a low SAR cell phone is a safe cell phone. A “high SAR phone” can be very efficient and normally work at low power, where as a “low SAR phone” can be inefficient and normally have to work at high power.
12. As much as possible communicate via text messaging rather than making phone calls.Texting also exposes your body to radiation but it limits the duration of exposure and the proximity to the body. Hold your cell phone away from your body when you press ‘send’.
If you find you are developing a sensitivity despite taking all these precautions, protective paints, veils and nets may be able to offer you some relief but ultimately you are best advised to stop using a cell phone.
Do Neutralizing Chips and Diodes Work?I don’t recommend them. More and more people are seduced into buying EMF protection chips, cell phone radiation protection stickers and diodes. The manufacturers claim these EMF protection products nullify or neutralize the effects of EMF exposure when you stick them on your cell phone.
Beware, many of these companies have paid to have research done to support their claims. But none of the devices I’ve tested worked. That’s why I don’t recommend them.
Not only do they not work, they can be dangerous. A number of electrically sensitive people have contacted me reporting an initial improvement when using these devices only to find that their symptoms have deteriorated some time afterwards.
What’s The Best Cell Phone Radiation Protection?The tips laid out on this page represent quite simply the best form of cell phone radiation protection.
If you’re looking for a way to effectively deal with your all your EMF exposures check out my eBook “Long Term EMF Protection – Start Feeling Better Today”. It’s the most comprehensive hands-on resource I know of on the subject of EMF protection, see http://www.electricsense.com/emf-protection-ebook-offer/
- See more at: http://www.electricsense.com/775/how-to-protect-yourself-from-cell-phone-radiation/#sthash.EtMnNQvv.dpuf
The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.