2011-02-11

Rand Paul's First (Maiden) Speech in the Senate

Vatic Note:  I must admit, I was impressed with his thoughtfulness on a a difficult issue such as compromise.   Having gone through such moral struggles myself,  I recognize the thought processes he went through to finally achieve his line in the sand.   I actually had to make a decision many many years ago about even taking an offered "appointment" to the house of Representatives, to replace a retiring congressman from my district.   I had to think long and hard about what that would mean to my ability to stand for the moral ground I so perilously occupied even as a legislative staff person in the House of Reps in the state I resided in.  I won't bore you with all the angst I went through and the final result was I decided not to do it, but I did go through an agonizing exercise in making that decision.   That is why I recognize the personal work he did to end up with the final result he has so eloquently stated.   Also notice when he changes the papers he is reading, they appear to be parchment from the old days like the early constitutional days. If so, then he is mired in history which is very very good for us, as he will keep history in mind as he navigates his way through the process he is about to go through. Remember its from history that we learn our lessons and it also shows he struggles over these important moral and integrity questions, which I haven't seen in a politician in a long time. I must admit I am impressed. But then again he is NOT a professional politician either.  That certainly helps.  LOL 


Rand Paul's First (Maiden) Speech in the Senate

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2011/02/rand-pauls-first-speech-in-senate.html
Posted on February 4, 2011 by Foreclosureblues

You don’t hear speeches like this everyday. You actually get the sense that when Rand Paul speaks about Henry Clay and Cassius Clay that he actually knows the history and that the story he tells has real personal meaning to him, as opposed to some speakers, who read words and quotes thrown on the page by some anonymous speech writer. A must watch video.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LE_fD-_rzJ8

Commentary by Campaign for Liberty

Senator Paul notes that he will now sit at Henry Clay's desk, likely the most famous legislator ever to hail from Kentucky. Henry Clay was known as the "Great Compromiser", which Paul reflects on throughout his speech.

"Henry Clay's life is at best, a mixed message. His compromises were over slavery. One could argue that he rose above sectional strife to keep the Union together, to preserve the union. But one could also argue that he was morally wrong, and that his decisions on slavery, to extend slavery, were decisions that actually may have even ultimately invited the war that came; that his compromises meant that during the 50 years of his legislative career, he not only accepted slavery but he accepted the slave trade." said Paul.

Sen. Paul goes on to contrast Henry Clay with the lives of his contemporaries; no-compromise abolitionists, including Henry Clay's cousin, Cassius Clay.

Sen. Paul points out that Henry Clay's preference for compromise over principle eventually contributed to an electoral shortcoming for the Presidency, thereby proving that jaded compromise does not always equal political expediency.

Sen. Paul continues, "Now today we have no issues, no moral issues that have equivalency with the issue of slavery. Yet, we do face a fiscal nightmare potentially a debt crisis in our country. Is the answer to compromise?"

Sen. Paul acknowledges the necessity of compromise, but carefully asserts the specific ways in which compromise must occur in order for the U.S. to its solve fiscal problems.

Sen. Paul concludes, "As long as I sit at Henry Clay's desk, I will remember his lifelong desire to forge agreement, but I will also keep close to my heart, the principled stand of his cousin, Cassius Clay, who refused to forsake the life of any human simply to find agreement."



The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

No comments: